Should you add a pistol or revolver to your personal or family protection plan? Is a concealed pistol license (CPL) right for you and others in your close circle? While statistics show violent crime is at a near 30 year low, we are still 45 times more likely to be assaulted than to be injured by a house fire. Most people will tell you that it’s just plain “common sense” to make smoke detectors part a family protection plan. Yet many of those same individuals question the necessity of a firearm for self-defense. At Family 1st Defense, it’s our mission to provide you the information necessary to make your own informed decisions about handguns. We offer basic firearms classes, as well as the training required by the State of Michigan to qualify for a CPL.
Note: Many confuse “CPL” with “CCW” and rightly so. In some states, these acronyms both describe a concealed carry permit. However, in Michigan, they are not interchangeable terms. See our FAQ page for more info.
Why Choose Family 1st Defense?
- We are the only firearms training provider in Kalamazoo County to be certified by both the Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners (MCRGO) and the United States Concealed Carry Association (USCCA). Family 1st Defense is authorized to offer classes developed around MCRGO- and USCCA-branded curricula for customers in Kalamazoo and surrounding communities, including Portage, Mattawan, Vicksburg and Schoolcraft.
- We hold classes where they best suit your learning style and budget – in the privacy of your own home, or in a traditional classroom environment. Take a look at our Training and Fees pages to determine which is best for you.
- We offer a class that meets and exceeds Michigan requirements for CPL training, covering important topics like firearm selection, gun law specific to our state, safe firearm storage, holstering, and preparation for the aftermath of a violent encounter.
- We deliver plain-spoken training, without the intimidating acronyms and jargon. Our mission is to present straightforward instruction, demystify firearms, and encourage questions. We want you to leave our classes feeling confident, empowered, and ready to take your training to the next level.
- We are a Michigan-owned small business, local to southwest Michigan. We live and work here, and support other local businesses.