Family 1st Defense is your best choice for private group Concealed Pistol License (CPL) classes in Kalamazoo, Portage, Mattawan, Schoolcraft, Vicksburg, and the surrounding area.
If you are concerned about COVID exposure or intimidated by the thought of training with strangers, you’ve come to the right place. Family 1st Defense is unique because we come to you with our private classroom presentation – either at your home or, virtually, on your smartphone, tablet or computer (via a Zoom call).
Per state requirements, our CPL class is 8 hours long – 5 hours in a classroom setting and 3 hours preparing for – and spending time on – the shooting range. Important: Even if you choose the remote option for the CPL classroom presentation, the live-fire range qualification still applies. This segment of the training can be held on your property (if local ordinances allow) or at a nearby shooting range.
Our CPL class is based upon curriculum developed by the United States Concealed Carry Association (USCCA), officially recognized by the State of Michigan. Family 1st Defense provides all classroom materials, including textbooks and targets. We also bring our own presentation equipment.
- Our group rate covers up to six people – there is an up-charge for each student over and above 6.
- Per state of Michigan requirements, CPL applicants must be 21 years of age or older. Family 1st Defense is unable to conduct CPL training unless all students in the room meet this minimum age requirement.
- Students are encouraged to train with their own firearms during the live-fire portion of our class. If you bring your own pistol, you are responsible for bringing at least 100 rounds of full metal jacket (FMJ) target ammunition to the shooting range. Don’t yet own a handgun? Not sure what to buy? No problem! You can rent one of our easy-to-shoot .22 cal pistols for a nominal fee, and we will provide the ammo (up to 100 rounds). Note that rentals require advance notice and payment.
- All students are required to bring and wear approved eye and ear protection. This equipment is not optional.
- Family 1st Defense has a zero tolerance policy for reckless and careless behavior at the shooting range. We reserve the right to remove anyone from training who threatens the safety of others. Students removed due to safety concerns will not receive a refund.
- Students who are unable to meet minimum skills for target accuracy may be required to repeat the live-fire portion of the class. An additional, nominal range fee may apply.