Family 1st Defense is your best choice for Concealed Pistol License (CPL) classes in Kalamazoo, Portage, Mattawan, Schoolcraft, Vicksburg, and the surrounding area. If you can round up a group of like-minded family members, friends and neighbors, consider our in-home training option. We’ll come to you for the presentation piece of the class, then make separate arrangements to facilitate the live-fire activities at a local shooting range. Of course, we regularly host CPL training in a traditional classroom environment too.
Note: Many confuse “CPL” with “CCW.” In some states these acronyms do mean the same thing. However, in Michigan, they are not interchangeable. See our FAQ page for more info.
Our CPL class is based upon curriculum developed by the Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners (MCRGO), and recognized by the State of Michigan as meeting all training requirements for CPL applicants. Our fee includes a free, one-year MCRGO membership.
- Per state of Michigan requirements, CPL applicants must be 21 years of age or older. Due to liability concerns, Family 1st Defense is unable to conduct CPL training unless all students in the room meet this age requirement.
- Students are strongly encouraged to train with their own firearms. If you bring your own pistol, you are responsible for bringing at least 100 rounds of full metal jacket (FMJ) target ammunition to the shooting range. Don’t yet own a handgun? Not sure what to buy? No problem! You may rent one of ours for a nominal fee, and we will provide the ammo (up to 100 rounds). Rentals require advance notice and payment.
- Shooting range safety rules require all students to bring and wear approved eye and ear protection.
- Family 1st Defense has a zero tolerance policy for reckless and careless behavior at the shooting range. We reserve the right to remove anyone from training who threatens the safety of others. Students removed due to safety concerns will not receive a refund.
- Students who are unable to meet minimum skills for target accuracy may be required to repeat the live-fire portion of the class. An additional, nominal range fee may apply.
More Information …
- See our Fees page for pricing.
- See our class calendar.
- See our CPL FAQ page.
- Register here.
- Send us a message or call us.